George C. Hadjikyprianou
Managing Partner | Advocate
Mr George C. Hadjikyprianou is the founding partner of G.C.Hadjikyprianou & Associates LLC. He is a dual qualified advocate with full hearing rights in both Cyprus and Greece. Prior to being called to the Bar, George completed his LLB in Law graduating from the University of Leicester (with First Class Honours) and subsequently obtained an LLM in Corporate and Commercial Law (with Distinction) from UCL. He is also a Certified Fraud Examiner Association Member (CFE) and a Ph.D. (c.) on Corporate and Commercial Law with a particular focus on modern corporate restructurings and on the related rights of key stakeholders.
Before founding the firm, George worked for several years in the Corporate; Commercial; Employment and Banking law departments of a ‘magic circle’ law firm in the UK; a top-tier law firm in Cyprus, as well as in a Big4 member firm. He has an extensive experience across a broad range of sectors and focuses his practice on M&A; corporate; commercial, and banking law.
George has advised in the past credit institutions on the development of financial instruments, such as preference shares; subordinated debt; and convertible or exchangeable bonds, as well as in the divestment of portfolios of non-performing assets. He has also been engaged as a member of a global legal team to advise two of the world’s largest trading platforms on their EU expansion plans and on the development of their EU based corporate structure. As the managing partner of the firm, he is regularly providing clients general commercial law advice and is actively participating both in pre- as well as in post-implementation stages of transactional projects.
He has served for several years as the Vice President of the Cyprus Young Lawyers Association (CYLA) and represented CYLA in both the International Young Lawyers Association (AIJA) and the European Young Bar Association (EYBA). Very recently, he has been appointed by the President of the Republic of Cyprus in the Board of Directors of the Cyprus Land Development Organisation and has also been selected by the Ruling Party as the leader and coordinator of the Policy Development Committee for the Country’s Digital Transformation. He is a multi-awarded lawyer and has been featured twice as a “Notable Practitioner” for Corporate; Finance; and M&A by IFLR1000 – the world’s most renowned law firms and lawyers rankings.
Qualifications & Admissions
- LLB in Law – University of Leicester (First Class Honours)
- LLM in Corporate and Commercial Law – UCL (Distinction)
- Ph.D. (c) on Corporate and Commercial Law
- Barrister – Member of the Cyprus Bar Association
- Barrister – Member of the Greek (Athens) Bar Association
- Certified Fraud Examiners Association (CFE)
Awards & Honorary Appointments
- Board of Directors’ member of the Cyprus Land Development Organisation.
- Appointed by the Ruling Party in Cyprus as the leader and coordinator of the Policy Development Committee for the Digital Transformation of the Cyprus private and public sector.
- Awarded the Global Law Expert Award of “Cyprus: Corporate M&A and Other Restructurings”.
- Featured as Notable Practitioner by IFLR1000.
- Member of the Global Legal Blockchain Consortium (GLE) Action Team.
- Shortlisted by the European Legal Business Award Committee amongst the best dual qualified transactional and innovative lawyers in the CESA region.
George is the author of several publications in leading law journals in the areas of corporate, commercial, banking, employment and data protection law.
His publications include, inter alia:
- ‘Blockchain and AI: EU and International Regulation and Legal Concerns’, George C. Hadjikyprianou and Marios C. Hadjikyprianou, International Technology and Privacy Law Journal, Vol 10, Issue 8, October 2021;
- ‘Cross-Border Merger: New EU Legislation’, George C. Hadjikyprianou, EU Corporate Restructuring Journal, Vol 20, Issue 2, June 2020;
- ‘The Race Against Cyber-Crime and the Importance of Cyber-Security for Governments and Companies: A Case Study for the European Union With a Particular Focus on the Republic of Cyprus’, Marios C. Hadjikyprianou and George C. Hadjikyprianou, Cybersecurity, Privacy, & Networks Journal, August 2020;
- Cyprus Chapter on Mergers and Acquisitions, The In-House Laweyer, March 2018
- ‘The New EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)’, George C. Hadjikyprianou, International Data Privacy Law, March 2018;
- ‘The Free and Undistorted Competition and the Related Crimes’ (In Greek) George C. Hadjikyprianou and Christos Satlanis, Nomiki Vivliothiki, Criminology, Issue 1-2/2015, p.29-47;
- ‘Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007: A ‘Cadmean Victory’ or a Worthwhile Reform?’, George C. Hadjikyprianou, White Collar Crime Journal Vol 10, Issue 10, March 15, 2016;
- ‘Floating Charges after the Case of Re Spectrum Plus: Legal Certainty or Greater Uncertainty?’, George C. Hadjikyprianou, Corporate Law: Securities Law eJournal Vol 8, Issue 17, March 02, 2016;
- ‘The Principle of ‘Comply or Explain’ Underpinning the UK Corporate Governance Regulation: Is There a Need for a Change?’, George C. Hadjikyprianou, Corporate Law: Corporate Governance Law Journal, Vol 7, Issue 81, November 27, 2015.